Sunday 17 April 2016

The Weekend Chat: Time Out With Adanma


Hello guys, hope you all had a good week? This is not a funny one...

Up until Thursday last week, I had an interesting story that I wanted to share here, but Mama X is my good friend and I couldn't get the matter off my head, and if there is something in my head, I cannot write anything else well except what is in my head. So I'll write about that today, others can wait.


About two months ago, a friend of mine, Mama X told me that her husband was owing her a lot of money, and whenever she asks for it, na fight (it turns into an argument). They have been married for eight years, have two lovely kids, live in a nice neighborhood and I had naively assumed that they were happy. Abi which one be my own?

In Mama X's own words, a typical conversation between her and Papa X with regards to her money goes thus;

Mama X- "I'm tired of asking you for my money, please I need to know when I will get it. It's been over a year now and my businesses are suffering"
Papa X- "Shut up, you are a terrible woman. Stop harrassing me for your money. Do you know what other women do for their husbands? Can you even prove that I am owing you? Anyway, you'll get it when I have it." Huh?!


The conversation then degenerates into an all out shouting match. They have not been on talking terms for at least six months.

Papa X is not only a shameless and irresponsible man, he is also a persona non grata. He has resorted to verbally abusing Mama X over her own money.

I asked her then to report the matter to the authorities (oh yes) but unfortunately, the loan was not documented, except for a copy of the cheque that she issued to him. Her lawyer thinks that it will suffice. But that's not the reason I'm writing this post.


Statistics show that the top two reasons for divorce and marital problems are infidelity and finance. Unsurprisingly so! Who wants to stay with an unfaithful spouse and or a liability? Ah, many Africans- that's who!
By and large though, I see more Africans saying no to these forms of emotional abuse.


Mama X is currently talking to a lawyer and filing for divorce. You see, not only is Papa X owing her, he disrespects her at will and cheats on her too and has become more of a liability than a husband. All these abuse she has suffered and endured for over eight years.


Please guys, let's say no to any form of abuse. Emotional, physical etc. The grass may not necessarily be greener on the other side, but green is only a color.

Do not allow any man, woman, animal, thing or even ghost subject you to abuse and a life of gloom. Everyone deserves to be happy.


Most victims cannot leave their abusers because they are either financially or emotionally dependent on them.
Work hard, be strong, and be financially independent. That will enable you leave a bad situation and move on.
A word is enough for the wise and these days, even the foolish!

Thanks for reading, catch you next week!

-Adanma²

By the way, I was told that my 'debut' post- Read it here was the most read post of the blog last week. Thank you!
Abi na lie them lie? Whareva! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Abi na lie them lie? Wareva! Lol Adanma oh!

    ReplyDelete